Week 15 The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks/Preparing for Final Exam
Today we’ll discuss “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot
Interview with Rebecca Skloot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDkAwjiT1Q
Rebecca Skloot on writing and structuring the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRhoA46-eA#t=39
Review for final exam
The final exam will be held during regular class time on Dec. 6 Please bring your Associated Press stylebook. You will have 75 minutes to complete the test.
Your final project, posted to eportfolio, and all rewrites are due in class May 9.
Review for Final Exam:
Review the Associated Press Stylebook here.
You should be familiar with newsmakers from the past few months. To review you can look over:
- CIA list of world leaders
- White House: Cabinet
- San Francisco Board of Supervisors
San Francisco city department heads:
- Oakland mayor
You should know how to:
- Punctuate quotes
- Write numbers (ages, addresses, millions, thousands, percentages, dimensions like height)
- When to use a hyphen
- When to use singulars and plurals
- Possessives/plurals (its/it’s, their/they’re, your/you’re)
- How to write names of states, street names, titles
- You should know that businesses, agencies, boards take a singular pronoun (Chevron opened ITS new headquarters; the San Francisco Board of Supervisors will hold ITS meeting)
- Comma splice