Week 2 Developing a Beat/Interviewing
Week 2 Jan. 31 Developing a Beat/Interviewing
Today we’ll discuss the triumphs and challenges you faced in your first week of neighborhood reporting.
Also on the agenda:
- News Quiz
- Business/real estate story
- Discussion: As Another Club Closes, Sunset Strip’s Evolution Continues
- What makes a good pitch?
* Concise but informed
* Why should people care? Why it’s relevant, important or otherwise newsworthy
* Why now? Look for news peg whenever possible
* Whiff of the meat — telling details that will capture people’s interest
- Real estate/business story pitches
- Reporting skills: How to get information, developing your reporting style, finding story ideas, taking notes, cultivating sources
- Entry exam — common mistakes
5 p.m. President Trump announces his nominee for Supreme Court justice.
For next week:
Write your BEAT REPORT in question-and-answer format (due Feb. 7). List the source after each question.
Report and write your business/real estate story (due Feb. 14)